World Health Organization
World Health Organization (WHO) ongoing recruitment for suitable and qualified applicants to fill the position of Graduate Intern Speechwriter .
The Position is based in Nigeria.
Job ID: 1703626
Grade: No grade
Contractual Arrangement: Intern
Contract duration: 6 Months
WHO’s Speechwriter intern is responsible for developing high-impact communications for the WHO Country Representative (WR). This internship requires strategic thinking with the ability to deliver consistently high quality, well-written, thought-provoking materials under pressure and tight deadlines:
- Support the WR through drafting of speeches and articles, consistently ensuring a high level of accuracy and flexibility in creating, writing, and adapting content and presentation for a wide variety of audiences;
- Undertaking original research on a range of development topics including within the context of UN system and Country Cooperation Strategy, South-South and triangular strategies of UN system partners, universal health coverage, climate change, equity and health security) as needed to substantively inform the speechwriting process;
- Analyzing complex information, including statistics, financial information and other numerical, qualitative and quantitative data, to extract key messages for integration into speeches, and other communications materials as required;
- Researching audience expectations, event agenda and topics, and assist in focusing the purpose of each speech to tailor messages for maximum audience appeal and impact;
- Drafting other substantive written material for the Office of the WR as requested, including statements, briefings, op-eds, opinions, articles, talking points, key messages and other written communications. This may include targeted messages for internal communications within the United Nations or for specific stakeholders and partners;
- Maintaining an up-to-date archive of speeches and data on the WHO website;
- Extracting key messages from speeches/presentations/articles for dissemination through social media channels, in close collaboration with the Communications Officer;
- The Speechwriter will be part of a communications team in WCO Nigeria, and will report to the WR (Communication officer).
Required Skills and Experience
- Qualified/suitable intern from the field of journalism, communications, sustainable development, social science, international relations or related field with the following academic qualifications: (a) enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university Degree or equivalent, or higher); (b) enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent); graduated with a university degree as defined in (a) and (b) above and, if selected, must start the internship within one-year after the graduation.
- Excellent general understanding of public health, gender, equity and other related issues;
- Experience working collaboratively in a team structure in a multicultural environment;
- Experience working with the Microsoft Office suite, and particularly in development of Powerpoint presentation materials;
- Familiarity with the UN system in general and/or WHO in particular are an asset.
- Proficiency in English;
- Knowledge of one of the other five official languages of the UN (French, Portuguese and Spanish) would be an asset.
- Have a good understanding of strategic communication and how it can contribute to the achievement of specific development goals;
- Possess excellent writing skills;
- Be able to write quickly, clearly and concisely;
- Ability to originate or edit written content for media and the general public;
- Knowledge of analytical tools and methods for undertaking substantive research on various policy related issues;
- Ability to engage with other parties and forge productive working relationships;
- Have an understanding of, and experience with the major social media channels;
- Be familiar with global development issues and the world of the UN.